GIVE FIRE AND SMOKE NO CHANCE
Everyone knows that fire kills. But did you know that most casualties are caused by the rapid spread of smoke and toxic fumes? About 70% of people affected by fire, suffer from smoke and fume inhalation. Smoke and fumes are dangerous because they reduce visibility, contain toxic substances and transmit heat. With at least 5,000 fire incidents occurring every day in Europe, fire safety in buildings is a major issue for society.
Recent fire disasters
- London fire: Massive blaze at five-star Mandarin Oriental hotel in Hyde Park as smoke seen across city
6. June 2018
- ‘It Hurts to Lose Everything’: Huge Fire in Manhattan Displaces Dozens
18. November 2017
- London, Grenfell: Union 'shocked' by Sky News findings
04. August 2017 - extra info
People need protection
How much time to escape?
The price our firefighters pay
What is the impact on the environment?
Responsibility for Health and Safety
Too many injuries
The danger of smoke and fumes
People deserve safe places
Loss of historic and culturally important buildings
An insulation material can offer much more than just thermal benefits. It can play a crucial role in the fire safety of a building and it can offer you peace of mind.
For decades, our FOAMGLAS® insulation business has supported the use of non-combustible insulation within the global construction sector. While other materials that are present in buildings may contribute to the rapid spread of fire and release highly toxic fumes, FOAMGLAS® slabs comply with the most demanding European fire classification A1 and help contain the fire locally.
- FOAMGLAS® cellular glass slabs are non-combustible A1-classified [EN 13501-1], this is the highest attainable European fire reaction classification
- FOAMGLAS® slabs do not produce any toxic smoke or fumes in case of fire
- FOAMGLAS® slabs do not produce dense smoke which might obstruct an evacuation route
- FOAMGLAS® slabs do not produce dangerous burning droplets which might harm people in the building or evacuating the building
- FOAMGLAS® slabs provide extra fire safety. Each layer of 50 mm FOAMGLAS® insulation provides 30 minutes of additional fire resistance (REI).
- FOAMGLAS® slabs have a melting point of more than 1000 °C (cf DIN 4102-17, with thickness > 80 mm).
Melting point > 1,000 °C
Fire Safe Europe (FSEU)
- The areas with FOAMGLAS® interior insulation system prevented any damage due to the fire and water.
- Experts attested after the audit: the complete built-up with FOAMGLAS® interior insulation system could be retained and the walls only required a new coat of paint. The compact, bonded FOAMGLAS insulation system protected the complete built-up effectively.
- Damage was minimized, and cost savings resulted from the protection offered by the FOAMGLAS® insulation system.
- Remarkable time savings: despite the fire and water damage during the construction of the building, the project was able to be completed on time, with the FOAMGLAS® Insulation Interior System contributing to this success.